Tuesday, July 1, 2008

"Oliver" is Home!


Oliver is home! I received a call late Sunday afternoon from the Emergency Vet Clinic that he could come home for the night! He hadn't eaten anything since he got sick on Thursday, not even his own favorite food that I took to him myself. At the time of the call, I was about ready to leave to go visit him and take him some turkey, so I decided I'd better get my guest bathroom ready for him before I left. I figured he would need a few days rest at home before he mingled in with the others.

When I arrived at the clinic, I was told that they had given him a bath, but that he would have nothing to do with the hair dryer. So he was still wet and looked extremely scraggly. Poor boy! So I paid the bill and brought him home, with me crying the entire 10-mile drive. I was crying because I didn't know what I was going to do to get rid of that smell from his fur, other than to clip him down. It wasn't a very pleasant homecoming for him at first, either, as he needed a good bath, above all else.

He smelled "pithy" from the catheter. They can't really put a bag on a cat like they can a person, or so I was told, so the urine runs out of the catheter, with the cat lying in it, more or less! They had one of those perforated mats under him, but it still holds that smell. His personal vet had shaved his back end on Friday and bathed him, but he was a mess again last night and smelled really bad! So the first thing I had to do was give him a good bath! I used a box of baking soda first, mixed as a paste, and plastered it all over him. Rinsed that off and then gave him a good shampooing with Oatmeal Shampoo for Cats. He allowed me to dry him with the hair dryer on low speed. He smelled soooooo good and looked so fluffy again, once I got him all combed out. Poor little guy, I don't know how he stood the smell himself. His personal vet today told me that they do hook them up to a bag, so I don't know why they didn't do that at the emergency clinic. Anyhow, he is nice and clean now! He also ate very well after his bath. Animals are like people, in many ways...he was homesick!

Monday, it was back to his personal vet. His IV line was removed, thank goodness! And when that sticky tape was taken off, a piece of his skin came with it! So now I have to doctor that with peroxide and an antibiotic ointment. He has to go back for a recheck in 2 weeks and, at that time, will have another blood test to test his creatinine and PH levels again. All in all, he is recovering with pain med and antibiotics at present and doing quite well, thus far. He is on Prescription Diet CD but so far has refused to eat it, canned or dry, so he is eating his regular food yet. I will have to mix the two foods together and wean him off his old food gradually. He spent yesterday mingling in with the other cats, and all went well. Usually, the others smell the "vet smell" on them and they hiss at each other, but guess his bath took care of that little problem. So all went well. He slept with me last night, so he's back to his ole normal self once again!


Buster is doing well, too! Today, he was taken out of his crate and walked on a leash around the downstairs for about 10 minutes. My daughter thought it was going to be hard to get him to go back into the crate, but he actually wanted to go back in it. She said he flopped right down on his pillow! He was pooped out from his little walk! I told her it is going to take time for him to get his strength back. He is eating well, and his staples will come out a week from Tuesday, on the 8th. Tammy counted 23 staples. His incision looks to be about 7-8 inches long.

I am so glad this past week is behind us! I know with so many cats that I am going to face many medical crises, but it's something I will just have to face, one at a time.

From the bottom of my heart, I thank all of you who sent prayers up for these two little fellas! They both are on the road to recovery!


zzop357 said...

I know vet bills are outrageous, aren't they. I'm glad the furbabies are home and doing well. Maybe now you both can get some rest.
I just recently found your blog through my sister Diane, of Dianes place.I love all your babies, and I will be back.
Take care and God bless. Donna

hippochick said...

So glad to hear Oliver is pretty much back to normal. What a week you put in.

Hope you have a wonderful 4th of July holiday. I'm hoping for more freedom for my left hand/arm after tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

~hippo hugs~

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Nancy,

I checked this morning, before I left for town, and you still didn't have an update, and came to check again, when I got home.

Thank the Good Lord Oliver is home and doing so well. And I'm glad you managed to get the smell off oh him. And he really is a beautiful kitty!

And, of course, I am glad that Buster is doing well!

With animals, you never know when a problem arises. Hope all remain well at your house for some time.

Have a great holiday weekend!



Midlife Mom said...

Yes you sure have had quite the week with your babies! I am SO GLAD that Oliver is home and doing so well! I need to remember your bath products for future reference. You are such a good kitty mother, they are so blessed to have you!
I can't find Lyle's address, can you leave it for me in a comment? Thanks!

Grace Scott said...

Hi Nancy,

Hurray, so glad to hear that Oliver is feeling better and home with you. Glad Buster is well too. Love those pictures of them. Hope you get some rest now.


BClark said...

Welcome Home Oliver, just went through long vet stay with one of mine. Finally brought him home and he is much better. Still dealing with a breathing problem which vet can't figure out. At home he is eating and putting on weight. I know what you mean about the food, I have never been able to get mine to eat it.

You are a wonderful Mom to all those orphans, good for you having the patience to follow through.

Oh, for your garden, grow things in pots. Check out container gardening, just google it lots of information.

Best to you and thank you so much for coming by. Barbara

Susie said...

You must be nearly ready to collapse with exhaustion after this trying week. I know you're relieved to have your precious fellas back with you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy,

I see and read that Oliver has made it home. Nice homecoming photos.

I like your blog and your photography and think your work is pretty neat stuff.

I came to thank you for visiting my blog and commenting there.

Abraham Lincoln
—Brookville Daily Photo
—Better Blog Writing
—My Birds Blog

Sammy said...

I'm so glad to hear Oliver is home again! And glad to hear that his bath at home took care of the smell. I know just what you mean about how the cats at home will hiss at a cat who has just come from the vet. Several years ago my cat. Otis, had to have tooth surgery. He came home, feeling awful and all drugged up, and Maybelline wouldn't stop hissing at him. I felt so bad for him! It was like kicking him when he was down!

SO, SO glad to hear the kitties are home and well again!

Jess said...

I hate having any kind of emergency....but when it's your family or your pets...well its downright awful. So glad to hear that your kiddos are home and better.

Happy 4th of July!

Mississippi Songbird said...

oh, aren't they adorable! I could just cuddle and hold them.. I love cats, but my daughter is allergic..

I hope you have a safe and Happy 4th of July!

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Yay! I'm so glad to hear that the boys are both doing so well. Maybe it will be a while before the next crisis.

Have a great 4th! ;o)

Love and hugs,


Reva said...

wow, what a week for you. Guess your kitties are all happy now at home with their mommy. I'll bet you are really happy too.
I was really glad when my husband brought Myrtle back from camping early. He said she was homesick for me and I didn't mind that at all cause I missed her too.